I recently went to the gym with my mom for the first time, and she was quick to take the opportunity to see what I kept in my gym bag and what I used on my skin straight after. Every time I pulled something out of my bag she would stretch over to have a look, straining her neck and asking ‘what’s that?’ And ‘oooh can I use this please?’ Finally I gave up and asked what she had in her’s and I was shocked! It had a few things in there but not what I would consider the basics. Standing there wrapped in nothing but a towel explaining to my mom what are my gym bag must have’s I decided this was something to share with everyone. My mom was even more shocked to found out that these products were my gym bag products, they live in my bag so when I’m in a rush and heading out the door or going for an improv leg session I know I’ve got everything I need when I’m there. If you hadn’t already figured out I’m an organisational freak- now you know!
So here are my 5 gym bag beauty must have’s and 5 gym bag nice to have’s, you know the one’s where you get to the gym and start looking for and realise you forgot, it’s not the end of the world but you’re a little disappointed in yourself. It’s a basic list to help you get your gym bag together and take with you whether it’s a spare of the moment meet up, planned but you’re running late or early morning and you still have brain fog.
I realised that the most important gym accessory for each and everyone of us was in my ears the whole time I planned, wrote and took the images for this post- HEADPHONES! Who’s with me? I know, I know not technically a beauty product but I think we can all agree the most important part of a workout. I know people that would actually turn around and go home if they forgot their headphones.
1) Water bottle- I don’t think a post goes by where I don’t talk about water. It is by large the most important thing for your skin. Hydrate, before, during and after. Just hydrate. 24/7. You’re skin will thank you for it. Personally I like to mix mine up, I’m currently on mint and lemon water with some crushed ice to keep it cool and refreshing. Mint leaves and known to be good for your complexion and for healthy hair where lemon is a great source of vitamin C and helps digestion.
2) Mist- I LOVE a good refreshing face mist, and I’ve tried so many good ones and made a few of my own, for example rosehip oil, most of them have good hydrating benefits, extra vitamins to help brighten your face etc.. I’m currently in love with this from DISCIPLE Skincare, this brand is everything I’m about, affordable, clean, natural and seriously effective! Balancing Mist may have been designed for long flights and late nights but it’s also great for a pick me up after a late night yoga or Pilates session. This brand is aimed at stressed out adult skin, inflammation and premature ageing. DISCIPLE Skincare is a new find for me so it’s still early days before I tell you to rush out and buy their products but this mist is my new best gym bag friend. (It’s also great to keep in your work bag if you’re having a bad skin day and your make up good do with a boost around lunch).
3) Underwear!!!- Yes clean underwear at all times! When you take your dirties out put some clean ones straight back in. I consider hygiene a big part in beauty so I think this tip qualifies. You’ll also thank my for this tip when you’ve gone to the gym pre work and panic you’ve forgotten a bra. No one wants to spend the day in a sweaty sports bra. These pants are my favourite, a Victoria Secrets find from their sports range they’re seamless and discreet so no pantie line showing through your leggings.
4) Face and body wash – yes as always I’m stressing the fact you need to clean your skin straight away to stop bacteria blocking your pores. Remember you don’t want to over exfoliate a good gentle cleanser is good enough. I’m currently trying a new product so I’ll keep you updated on that! Face wash I’m still loving Fré Skincare purify me, it’s especially designed for woman that train. I’ll be doing a few review of these products in a couple of weeks so stay tuned!
5) Moisturiser- I guess this comes hand in hand with the face and body wash. Your skin is all over your body so remember to take care of all of it, every nook and cranny! If it’s early you’re going to need an SPF with your moisturiser don’t forget you need protection from both UVA and UVB. If it’s late night and you’re heading home bring with you your night cream. I know after a long week working and keeping fit sometimes my skin can start to look dull which is the last thing I want ahead of the weekend, I’ve recently tried Summer Fridays Jet Lag mask which comes highly recommended by almost everyone! Again another one designed for travel but works wonders after the gym.
Nice to have’s:
1) Hair clips, I love love love these alligator style clips from Boots, they don’t leave a line in my hair and are so handy! I have them everywhere at home and always in my gym bag. I hate washing my hair so these babies keep it well and truly out of the way of water when I’m showering or in the jacuzzi.
2) Spare bag, for your dirty stuff. I usually always forget these but when I remember I feel like I’m a fully functional adult! Can I get a high five.
3) Towel X2 it goes without saying you need a towel in the showers but it’s always handy to have a mini towel to wipe your sweat and the equipment as you go. The gym blue roll situation is not good, I swear it dissolves when it comes into contact with sweat.
So there’s a few of my gym bag beauty essentials, what do you always ensure is in your bag? Would love to find out, do you take full size or miniatures?
Let me know below,