Hello beautiful! Welcome back to the final post in my mini series of best workouts and skin routines depending on the time of day.
We’ve talked the best of AM, powering through the lunch time run and now winding down on a evening.
It might be tempting to finish a tough day at work with a big glass of red and a relax on the sofa, but if you can squeeze in a workout before you get home, you’ll sleep better and help to restore your muscles after a sedentary day.
Personally in a evening I opt for Pilates or yoga, as it can be a game changer for many people. If I’ve had a long day and need to unwind something like Pilates or yoga really helps me focus on the moment and not reliving my day at work. If you go home and replay your day over and over in your head you’ll relive it emotionally and trigged your stress hormone to go crazy << which causes spots and lack of sleep! There’s no way you can do a Pilates class or hold your yoga positions and still think about work… I’ve found these two classes to be very in the moment. Plus it isn’t too intense and won’t leave you struggling to get to sleep at night.
More importantly when it comes to my evening gym bag here’s what I’m packing:
You know what I’m going to say first right? REMOVE YOUR MAKEUP! I am loving Elemis Pro Collagen Cleansing Balm, I literally massage it into my skin (always in a upward motion) and let in sink in while I get changed. Then a quick wipe and everything comes off smoothly. It also leaves your skin feeling hydrated and not dry or tight pre workout and SMELLS AMAZING!
No matter what you decide to do, Pilates, spin, weights or boot camp, don’t wait until your home to cleanse your face. Do it ASAP. I always keep a face cleanser in my gym bag and it doesn’t take long.
Your evening moisturiser is key, because your skin starts regenerating so you want to help give it a boost.
I always use a Vitamin C serum and most nights I’ll use Summer Fridays Jet Lag mask (you only need a pea size amount) but this is because I have such dry skin this really makes a difference, but everyone is different. Which ever moisturiser works for you go with but no matter your skin type you need something.
Oh and I do the above while drinking a peppermint tea which is also great for your skin.
This is a simple and routine but still important. We all know to maintain our cars, teeth, brows & roots but skin is just as important.
Throw on your favourite pjs and get some well beauty sleep!
Welcome back to my mini workout & beauty schedule series. I started with the best morning workouts and how to prep your skin and next up (drum roll please…) the lunch time power hour!
If you follow me on Instagram or read a few of my posts you know I love a lunch time run, it’s a great way to get some fresh air and gives you a boost of energy for getting through the afternoon.
Research’s suggest that a workout midday means you’ll get back to your desk happier and ready for a more productive afternoon. It’s so important to keep your body moving especially if you spend your days sat at a desk. Full body workouts are recommended, boxing seems to be the activity of choice for a lot of people with 30-45 minute classes. This is because it gets your body moving in a multitude of angles and is a great for working through some stuff if you’ve had a stressful morning! << it’s on my list of things to try.
I know it’s a pain and can be daunting to remove your makeup and it’s quicker just to sweat through but trust me here… take it off and your skin will thank you for it. Sweating through layers of makeup is only going to result in uncomfortable red and sensitive blemishes, which ends up needing more makeup to cover up and before you know it it’s the never ending circle of makeup coverage and break outs.
Always carry some makeup remover with you, I’m not a fan of wipes as I think they pull at your skin far too much, but whatever you choice to remove your makeup quickly is better than leaving it on. I am really loving Glov, this on the go cleansing glove, it’s perfect because I just leave it in my gym bag and I’ve always got it with me.
Now you’re ready to kick some ass at your chosen workout!
Once your workout is done cleanse your skin again, you don’t need to make this a look no process or anything fancy. Even just hot water and soap is all you need.
Post-workout I use a mist spray first to help rehydrate my face and because it’s soooo refreshing then Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Colour Correcting Treatment I’ve found this really helps to hide signs of fatigue while helping to keep the skin hydrated, don’t be put off by the green colour of the cream it turns beige when it comes into contact with your skin I promise. I wait for this to set in and then use my absolute favourite IT Cosmetics CC cream, honestly I don’t even own a foundation at the moment I just use this all the time. These simple products teamed with Big glass of water will also help skin to stay plump throughout the afternoon.
Don’t forget to head back to your desk and eat something with a carb/protein ratio of about 2-1; it could be a smoothie or a protein bar, but after so much muscle-building you want to make sure you have enough protein to support muscle growth.
BTS: loading my salad up to get me through the afternoon:
Hey hey hey. You know I’m a girl that’s on the go but looking after herself 24/7 so I’ve put together a mini series for you guys to walk you through what I do throughout the day and WHY.
I’m someone who likes to mix up their routines whether that’s morning noon or evening. I’m generally a morning person and like to get my ass out of bed and moving before I give myself the excuse not to! However I do try and add some structure to what I’m doing at what time of day and consider what my skin and body need post workout to help me be the best version of me. I’ve put together a mini series to share with you over the next couple of weeks to get real specific about what I do when and what is essential to my beauty routine straight after.
Honestly timing is everything when it comes to exercise, when you workout you put your body under pressure and you get your stress hormones going so I like to keep the level of exercise in line with the time of day. For example you may think that if you do a hardcore workout late in the evening you’ll go home and crash out, not necessarily! When you get your heart rate up and the blood pumping mixed with the endorphins it can be stimulating for the brain making it harder to get a good nights rest. I’ve talked about it before, but sleep is one of my beauty ride or dies.
Everyone is different and some people do find it better to workout in an evening or maybe it just fits into your schedule easier, you have to do you here and find your sweet-spot. It will make all the difference but whatever the time of day pack your gym bag with glow-inducing skincare essentials for healthy glowy skin 24/7.
Depending on what kind of day I’ve got planned and whether I’ve made it into the gym or I’m at home depends on whether I’m doing weights or a full body HIIT workout. No matter which one I go with I ALWAYS start with some basic yoga stretches.
When you’ve been lying down for 8 hours you can’t just hop right to it (and you should always warm up anyway). Yoga can be energising and uplifting first thing and helps you wake up your body in a healthy way. Little tip I learnt in one of the many hours I spent reading… lunging with your right leg forward first helps aid your digestion system and that’s good for everyone!
Both HIIT and weights are known for burning calories even after you’ve finished your workout so I love doing these first thing, also more I challenge myself before 7am the more I feel I’ve achieved and it really helps set the tone of my day. I feel like I can do anything!
I know I preach the importance of washing your face but I also know there’s a balance and washing too much is bad for the skin- you don’t want to strip your skin of it’s natural oils.
Pre morning workout I actually don’t do anything apart from brush my teeth and drink green tea and a quick spray of my favourite balancing mist to help wake me up and give my skin a boost of hydration.
Post morning workout skin is where I get serious. Let’s brake it down.
1) Dry brush! Have you heard about dry brushing? I feel like most people have & are on board but if not let me give you a quick summary. I got mine off amazon and it’s a little hand held brush for exfoliating. You use it while your skin is still dry (hence the name dry brushing) then starting at your ankles you work your way up the body in circular motions towards the heart. This not only wakes your body up in a morning but is also amazing for your circulation and lymphatic drainage.
2) Shower. I’ll wash my face in the shower with warm water. Always start with warm water as it opens the pores so you can clean your skin and get any dirt or sweat out of them. Last 30 seconds blast the cold! It’s a great way to wake yourself up and also close your pores. I try not to get cold water on my face as I still want my skincare to sink in.
3) Moisturisers, YOUR WHOLE DAMN BODY! Your skin is an organ and the biggest one you have. It covers all of you and it all needs to be kept hydrated especially if you’ve worked up a pretty decent sweat. By now if I’m at home I’m probably on my second green tea or peppermint if I’m at the gym I’ll be on my second bottle of water. Always looking after my skin inside out.
4) Right clothes on now for the face, from all the podcasts I’ve listened to, all the blog posts, microblogging and books I’ve read there’s one thing I’ve learnt that you can’t ignore. When it comes to applying skincare start with the most water based products and work up the the heavier ones. A toner or serum isn’t going to sink in through an oil so your getting none of the benefits. I go; mist, toner, serum, colour corrector (not everyday but some days it’s a must more than others), Rosehip oil (eyes & forehead only), moisturiser, spf then makeup AND ALWAYS WITH A COLD JADE ROLLER. It’s less complicated then it sounds I promise, & here’s a sneak at what my current layout looks like…
5) Quick restyle and freshen up of the hair, I hardly wash it and try to avoid using heat so my hair is pretty low maintenance 6 days a week and I’m ready to head to work.
By this point I’m probably starting to get a little hungry as well so I’ll grab a pre-made juice or smoothie with added collagen to help boost hydration and keep your skin looking glowy while reducing fine lines and wrinkles from within. The perfect age prevention cocktail.
What’s your favourite AM workout or are you up & out?
We’re all guilty of a little #wanderlust & why not? What’s not to love about seeing the world, experiencing new cultures & ways of life & genuinely having a great time.
I’m not one of the people that can rock up to a beach & set up camp for two weeks, it’s just not my style. I want to explore, meet new people & eat everything the country has to offer me! Travelling for me is the best kind of exercise, I walk until my legs can’t go any further, I laugh until my abs hurt & I eat guilt free which is great for the soul don’t you agree? Okay I also drink my body weight but hey I’m on holiday.
As you may have seen from my Instagram lately (@reali_tee) or my last blog post I’ve recently spent two weeks exploring Italy. My boyfriend & I rented a fiat 500 & set off around Tuscany hill hoping from town to town. Honestly in Tuscany it’s always leg day. There’s always a tower I want to climb with a minimum of 400 vertical steps, I do love to hit my 10k step count and walking is the best way to see the city, beautiful gardens & art galleries. At the beach? What a beautiful way to see the coast line & all the hidden rock pools/ caves. A few years back on a girls holiday we ended up on a mini hike all day up & down it actually turned out to be a laugh & everyone enjoyed it.
It may not be the same as a heavy weight session in the gym but in 35C+ heat you will definitely be sweating your ass off!
As I’m all about looking after my skin pre, during & post sweating while looking good on the go I wanted to share with you some of the key products I took away with me. We both agreed to travel light so I strategically considered what products I would need to keep me looking fresh day & night, you never know when you’ll see the next selfie moment on the go.
1) SPF! This should not come as a surprise as I’m always going on about the importance of sun protection. The burnt lobster look was never & will never be in fashion. I’m sorry I don’t get the craze of people being impressed with how red they went after one day in the sun, it’s uncomfortable, painful, causes cancer & ruins your holiday. I may not have been by the sea this time but walking around towns & cities it’s still important to protect your skin. Your skin is a organ, the biggest one you have. Take care of it. I love love love Bali body, it’s natural ingredients hydrate my skin smell amazing & ensure I’m protected.
On the subject of UV rays never forget your shades, on my first trip to Italy in January 2016 my delightful cousin brought her trusty Raybans, myself & our friend laughed at her for this, it’s January who needs shades? Please see below the following photo of Sara looking ever so happy with two squinty companions … not a strong look.
Tee’s Tip: unsure if you need sun cream? Take a look at your shadow, short shadows mean low UV long shadows cream up!
2) Disciple Balance mist. I love a face mist anyway, especially after a workout, it just picks you straight back up hydrates the skin & helps takes you from sweaty to glowy. Designed for long flights and late nights you can use this product anywhere, anytime for anything. If a product isn’t multi functional it’s not making the cut into my suitcase or gym bag & this one’s a personal fav. It’s super hydrating & fights inflammatory skin issues, including adult acne, eczema and premature ageing. WINNER I also love that the brand is completely clean & natural. This was the perfect size to carry around either in my daily backpack for a quick pick me up or in my evening bag to help keep my makeup in place.
3) Lanolips 101– what I didn’t say about this in my microblog on Instagram probably isn’t worth mentioning. This product is the master of multitasking.
4) Mr Natty Sea Salt Spray, great British company with some great products. Okay yes Mr Natty is a barber & I may have used my fair share of my boyfriends product here. BUT… sharing is caring after all & this sea salt spray smelt amazing, added texture to my hair & kept my wavy curls looking tame(ish) & natural. Also in my defence the bottle reads for surfers & mermaids…
5) My moisturiser of choice… IT Cosmetics CC cream, I’m not a fan of loads of makeup anyway & on holiday I wear even less, it just clogs your pores up and I feel icky. This simple product is not only SPF 50 but basically airbrushes your face leaving you looking natural & flawless in one product. I got this miniature from Boots.
So there’s my 5 travel / leg day in the city essentials. All are multifunctional & effortless but I still fell like it’s worth mentioning my two ride or die beauty hacks, 1) water & 2) sleep.
Even more than normal I make sure to stay hydrated on holiday, it’s so important when you’re moving around so much, with the added heat & additional alcohol my bag was never missing a bottle of water.
Benefit of being on holiday, additional beauty sleep… after an incredibly early flight & the excitement of wanting to explore Perugia (our first stop) we headed straight out after we had checked in, did a little exploring got some food a few aeprol spritz & by the time we crashed out we slept for about 12 hours. Unsurprisingly I spent the rest of the holiday without dark rings under my eyes. Shall we see how long that lasts?
Are you planning your summer holiday or getting ready to pack your bags? What beauty products make the cut? I want to know, comment below.
I LOVE working out, there’s something really satisfying about getting a sweat on, especially first thing in the morning, it really sets the tone of my day. I also love to mix up my workouts, yes I have a weight training schedule along with yoga and Pilates but cardio is where it really gets fun. I’ve never really been a fan of cardio, it’s more of a necessity but I’m always looking for ways to enjoy it. So here’s the two versions of cardio I don’t hate, running with friends and swimming. Two great workouts both equally hate your skin. Regular outdoor exercise equals skin issues, dry, flakey, dully skin. Swimming has been my go to for the last 5 years and the thing that got me into fitness but the chlorine and my skin do NOT mix. I always come out feeling great about myself until the irrational red skin kicks in and I’m glad to dry brush my skin and a cool shower.
A few months ago while scrolling through Instagram I saw all the usual fitness influencers and their beautiful glowy skin in post workout pictures and was like WTF I do not look like this! Not even after Pilates. So I decided to slide into a few DM’s and ask exactly what products these woman were using to look that great after a workout. Not going to lie by the third or forth ‘oh thanks honestly I just drink a lot of water’ I was a bit bored of the generic responses. Yes hydrate but I want specifics on your skin routines! Finally I got a worthwhile response 🙌🏻
Fré Skincare. (I’ve mentioned this brand a few times before so get ready for my full review) I jumped straight onto google to find out what I could about this brand and it turns out designed especially for sweaty skin. It’s scientifically developed to protect the skin from the elements AND keep it hydrated without blocking your pores. Best of all it’s 100% vegan and cruelty free not to mention they don’t use parabens or mineral oil. They fill their products with loads of essential fatty acids to help maintain the the skins health along with vitamins A B & E which fight pollution and prevent wrinkles.
Right so they have so many different sets out from recovery to glow to detox and I was so confused where to start. I contacted the team directly asking what would best suit my needs and they recommended the Starter Kit. It contains their top three daily essentials as miniatures to help you get a feel for the product and they even come in a perfect string bag to pop straight into your gym bag. (Also I’m in love with miniatures at the moment they’re so handy on the go and let you test products without fully committing).
I’ve basically being using these three products everyday for a month and have to say they are worth the investment.
The Purify Me is the perfect hydrating gentle exfoliator, it uses jojoba beads for natural exfoliation without being too harsh on your skin. These remove dead skin cells and impurities from the pores while restoring the skins pH level for a clear complexion. Since using this daily I no longer get that tight skin tingling after washing my face.
Revive Me, as soon as I read that this product helps regenerate collagen i was sold. If you saw my Instagram post this week you’ll know I’ve been obsessed with collagen lately and this added boost has really helped promote a natural energised glow thanks to its cocktails of minerals and vitamins.
AND TO FINISH IT OFF… Protect Me, the ultimate light weight SPF moisturiser. Now you know I don’t leave the house without my SPF, if the suns up the SPF is on. I take this so seriously. Not only is this ultra light but it’s super quick to absorb into the skin. It’s designed to protect against UVA (the A is for ageing and these rays are always present even on the most over cast of days) UVB and pollution but it’s formula is designed not to run down your face when you get a little sweaty. Best of all it certainly doesn’t leave that horrible salty effect on your skin, you know the one I mean when you’ve had a really good hot sweaty session but your skin is producing salt by the gallon.
I honestly loved this collection and what’s great is that when you by a product on their site you can sign up for subscriptions so you don’t even have to worry about running out, they’ll deliver your next batch right to your door.
This post wasn’t sponsored and nothing here was gifted these are products I brought based on a recommendation that paid off and I wanted to share with all of you.
Your turn… what’s the first product you use when leaving the gym?
I’m so protective over my hair it’s unreal. I can be like nooo my hair! But with good reason, I damaged it so badly a few years back with no stop bleach and heat that it was actually frizzled at the front. The only solution was to cut my hair into a lob, not like this made much difference considering it kept splitting anyway. So now I do everything to keep it long and healthy to the point where I just don’t wash it. It’s effort and I don’t particularly enjoy it. If you’re a regular gym goer than you know the struggle is real, because you’re most likely going to work up a sweat tomorrow so what’s the point. Gym hair, don’t care! I’ve also learnt is not smart to train arms the day you wash your hair because holding the hairdryer for so long will come back to bite you! Anyway it’s so much more fun to style dirty hair. What can I say washing my hair is not for me. However if you do a LOT of cardio you probably need to wash your hair at least twice a week to help your scalp.
I’ve recently stretched my washes out to once a week, and quickly learnt the dirtier the better. Anyway who has the time to wash their hair everyday? I’ve got this down to swimming once a week and then washing my hair straight away.
Here’s why I don’t wash my hair;
1) I pay for my colour, why wash it straight out? It’s true blondes have more fun but the more you wash your hair the more you wash out the colour. I’ve never been able to keep ashy silver tones in my hair because it naturally has a red tint (thanks dad) but since I started to wash it weekly and switched to Charles Worthington toning shampoo the colour has never been better. Exactly what I wanted, and that’s still the case 8 weeks later. When I do wash my hair I always opt for sulphate free shampoo, this one is currently still my favourite. (Added bonus shampoo and conditioner lasts sooo much longer when you use it less often)
2) It strips out your natural oils, it’s the oils in your hair that make it look shiny and healthy. Isn’t that what everyone wants? So why strip them out, makes no sense to me. You can also end up causing your scalp to produce more oils to try and replace what you’ve washed out, leaving your hair more greasy and you end up in a vicious wash cycle.
3) It’s so much easier to style. Yep, probably helped by the amount of dry shampoo I use but my hair has so much more texture and thickness to it that when I style it it actually does what I wanted, most of the time.
Here’s some tips for keeping it healthy;
1) The sleep bun, doesn’t need to be a bun but keep it up/ tied back. Buns are great and I use these great crocodile clips which don’t leave a mark in my hair but braids work just as well. I’ve honestly noticed a huge difference in my hair since sleeping with it up more, when I sleep with it down it’s noticeable greasy the day after. Last time I slept with it down my boyfriend rolled onto it in the night and I was trapped, lesson learnt.
2) Hair mask, we all love a good hair mask but my hair is always so much nicer after a hair mask and gym session. Yes that’s right a hair mask and gym session, I heat from my workout helps the hair mask and it’s more efficient instead of sitting around waiting to wash it out. I will comb my favourite mask through my hair from root to ends and then tie it up, completely out of my face so no product touches my skin.
3) Grapefruit oil, I have a little spray bottle with a concoction of water and grapefruit oil. Post workout I spray a little water on my roots and blow dry them for thickness the spray a little grapefruit to make it smell nice. And I’m good to go.
It’s so much fun to get creative with your hair when it’s dirt, here’s a few of my favourite styles;
When it comes to washing your hair I’m definitely a less is more girl.
What about you? Hair secrets accepted below.
Ps: nothing in this post was sponsored or gifted just products and things I’ve tried and liked.
I can’t be the only person that seems to be living life at 1000 WTF’s an hour right?
Honestly, life is a juggling act right now, please don’t think for one moment I’m complaining because I know I asked for this to come into my life and therefore I’ve fully accepted it. However it’s still a lot of plates to keep spinning all at once, and I know I’m not alone.
You’ve seen the people posting gym pictures, flashing abs like ‘Hey look at me I just spent 1.5 hours in the gym and now I’m going to eat pizza!’ For those people that’s great and yes you deserve pizza but for the remainder of us, those with kids they have to pick up after being at work all day then entertain and clean up after, or if like me you work full time, study and write a blog or maybe you work two jobs (double hustle) maybe you commute across the country, or you’re just so slammed at work right now under staffed and passionate about what you do that you’re willing to work 50 hours + All of this while keeping on top of the everyday life expectancies of us all such as maintaining social lives, eating, and yes you know it… WORKING OUT.
It’s freaking hard work!!!
For all of us!
That’s why I wanted to talk about not only intention, but how I hold myself accountable. FOCUS GOES WHERE ENERGY FLOWS
Last year my job was not demanding at all, and I wasn’t studying. I had the luxury of going to bed at night sleeping for 8 hours feeling refreshed waking up going to the gym doing my 9-5 job heading home cleaning and food prepping. It was so easy it was boring, that said when I went on holiday last year, I honestly looked the best I’d ever looked.
Now my job is so much more demanding but engaging and fun, I’m studying a minimum of two hours a day, looking after a house hold and still trying to balance my meals and workouts, and honestly some times I just don’t want to go to the gym!
Now to give you an idea my weekly workouts include the below:
• 3/ 4 x weight training
• 3 x lunch time runs
• 2 x Pilates
• 1 x yoga
Exactly… no surprise it’s rare I actually successfully accomplish all of this a week, but that’s all changed!
Here are a few of my tips that have helped me stay accountable for my workouts:
1. Schedule it in! Yes that’s right I’ve started to schedule in my diary when I’m working out, not only that but I get specific, real specific. If I have to think about my workout and start to make decisions it’s easy to talk myself out of it. What do I want to train today? Well not really anything so I won’t bother. Where do I want to run to today? Maybe JQ, or Mailbox or JQ or Mailbox… Oh I don’t have time now I was too busy deciding…. Take the decision making out of the equation! My diary already has my workouts scheduled in and what I’m doing, where and when. Added bonus it means I can make sure I’ve got the right meals planned to help recovery. Run days I make sure I have plenty of carbs to come back to, whether it’s my favourite ‘sausage’ and pasta dish or my home made Vietnamese ‘chicken’ vegetables and rice.
2. Buddy up! 100% unless I genuinely feel awful I’m not going to let a friend down when it comes to a session. If you agree to train with a friend you’re holding each other accountable and helping one another. Don’t make some wishy washy plan, like ‘errm yea maybe. I’ll be there for like 7ish?’ NO! Set a time, agree a workout. Now somebody else has had to ensure they align their leg day with yours, it’s just rude to let them down now.
3. Tell the world! Okay you don’t have to announce it on social media, but if you can’t get a buddy for a day tell a friend what you’re doing and when. My cousin and I do this sometimes, I’ll message her and say ‘hey I’m training legs nice and early tomorrow!’ Every time she’ll text me around 8, ‘how was your leg session?’ Checking in with someone helps hold you accountable.
I hope you enjoyed these few tips, they’ve really helped me especially since hitting the books again. What do you do to ensure you stick to your workout? All motivation tips accepted here!
So, let’s get right to it. I don’t like treadmills.
You run and you run, and you stay in exactly the same spot. When I have been on a treadmill, I tend to set the speed and incline to a percentage I am comfortable with. See what’s wrong with this already? Comfort zones are BORING!!
This past week I’ve really being trying to push myself out of my comfort zone. One thing I am bad for is sticking to the same weight when I train. I mostly train on my own and so, not a partner I’m accountable to or pushing me, means I can stagnate. However, I need to stop using that excuse not to bump up the weight a little.
We all need to step out of our comfort zone from time to time, in order to grow. I’m a strong believer in the saying:
‘The definition of insanity is doing the exact same activity over and over then expecting different results.’
If you want a different outcome you need to switch things up. That doesn’t mean change your routine every week because to really improve you need consistency and patience, but you do always need to keep it interesting and challenge yourself in the process.
Personally, I like to switch my routine up every 6-8 weeks or so. Some people do every 12 weeks, some people don’t even have a routine.
For me, getting out of my comfort zone helps me tackle another issue – anxiety. That’s probably the last thing you expected to read especially on my activiTEE page, but it’s true.
Routines, knowing what’s coming up and what to expect helps me feel in control. When I feel in control, I’m less anxious. However, you can’t be 100% in control every single day, so pushing myself outside of my comfort zone even when it’s at my own discretion really helps.
One of my favourite activiTEE’s is yoga and so many people have excuses as to why they don’t do yoga. “I can’t touch my toes,” or “I have poor balance” and of course, “if I fall people will laugh.”
Well all you ‘yogi phobies’ out there guess what – GET OUT YOUR COMFORT ZONE!
If you’re that nervous try doing it in the comfort of your own home, it’s putting yourself out there that’s the important thing here. You never know you might enjoy it!
How do you get your sweat on and is it working for you? Are you a pilates goer? Barre lover? Weightlifter? If so how do you mix it up and keep it interesting?
How are you spending your day? Are you seeing your family, having a ‘me’ day or just binging on Netflix?
Whatever way you choose to wind down on the weekend is completely up to you, but how concernedare you with staying active?
When I first thought about starting this blog I really considered what I wanted to write about and what I was most passionate about. Anyone that knows me personally, knows how important I consider health and fitness to be. However, I am after all your everydayeverything girl, I have a lot of stuff to do and I don’t spend two hours a day weight training to create the types of fitness blogs I see today.
I’m also pretty sure that if you are interested in fitness then you already follow hundreds of fitness accounts on Instagram that post workouts, food diaries and flash their abs in super cool gym wear. However, that’s not me.
What I am passionate about is keeping active, please note that this DOES NOT MEAN BUSY! I mean keep moving, getting in that 10k step count and getting creative with how you do it. If you follow my Instagram you know I run regularly, train and love to stretch it out to yoga videos in my living room. My favourite activity of all time though is being outside!
Honestly there’s so much to gain from fresh air and having the sunshine on your face. Not only do we need that vitamin D but there are so many studies that emphasisethe importance and overwhelming power of being out doors. Whether that’s a family walk in the park, along the canal or doing bit of gardening. There’s no excuse, even us city folks should be getting out on lunch breaks, even if you have to take the conference call on the go!
Not convinced? Did you know spending time outside is known to help:
De-stress the mind and therefore help the body. You know your shoulders are meant to live under your ears right?
Eliminate fatigue. Everyone has experienced that over powering need for a nap post lunch right? Ever experienced it after going for a walk? Didn’t think so!
Boosts your immune system. I’ve seriously being suffering with some bizarre cold/hayfever symptoms lately, which has resulted in me sitting at my desk sniffling and wiping my nose on the harshest tissue known to man (probably because I didn’t go out at lunch to by some nice soft ones). However, when I went running last week, although the start of the run was hard work it actually got easier and my breathing got easier despite how blocked up I was.
Increased focus and creativity….. I think we can ALL benefit from that, am I right?
Yes we all love a day inside hibernating from the rain and wind, sitting in front of the TV but with that said, anyone who truly knows me knows that after about two weeks of wet miserable weather I’m the last person you want on a night out with. Honestly I will be so grumpy and sad, my mood can rely a little too much on the weather and in the UK that’s not a great trait to have. Good job all these active hobbies I have are helping me to release these positive hormones – right?!
Here are my below tips for getting active in fun ways:
Got a FitBit? Do your friends? Even if you don’t have the most up to date wearable technology our phones all count steps every day, why not set yourself a challenge and get your friends and family involved. Who can walk the furthest in a day? Who does the most steps in one day over the course of a week. Can you combine your steps to walk all the way to Ibiza? From Birmingham that’s 1399 miles and on average it takes 2000 steps to walk a mile so you only need to rack up 2,798,000 steps. You up for the challenge?
Lunch on the go? I know there’s a lot to be said about sitting down to enjoy a meal but why not grab your office BFF head out of the office and go for lunch, even if you pick something up and walk around the office block a few times you’d be surprised at how quickly the steps add up.
One thing I try and stick to at work is whenever my phone rings I get up and answer it while walking around as much as possible. Although this can be annoying when the person you’re on the phone to says, “I’ll just send you this email to look at…”
Make it fun… the same thing day in day out on your own will get boring eventually. Mix it up, keep it interesting and rope a friend in with you to help keep each other accountable.
Reward yourself. No not with a slap of chocolate cake although I do love a protein cookie post workout. Did you manage to walk to Ibiza, congrats you now deserve a nice pair of new shoes, tired from a long day of calls walking around on all those calls? Sit down and enjoy that new book.
How do you stay active in your day to day lives? What’s your favourite activity?
Share below, I’ll start I actually love dancing in the bathroom while brushing my teeth.
Hi again, it’s been a while since I’ve done a full blog post so if you haven’t seen on my Instagram I have recently signed up to run the Birmingham half marathon. Yes I know it’s not until October but I thought while the motivation was fresh I’d start some basic training and get myself into running, fortunately for me there’s a small group of people in my office that do this for fun at lunch. Madness I know running instead of eating but I’m actually starting to enjoy it 🙋🏼♀️
From one everything girl to another… You know that rule ‘thou shall not eat an hour before you go swimming’ (or something like that)? Well turns out it applies to running also!
I’ve recently started running at lunch with a small group of people in my office and also seem to get a stitch. Turns out it’s that pre-run snack I’ve been munching down me, 15 minutes before I head out!
Life hack: you should leave a large meal for up to four hours to digest before you go running and a snack 1-2 hours.
Lesson learnt…when running I need blood in my legs not still digesting my food. The body is an amazing thing but it still has limitations. I love food so planning my workouts around my food plan is my idea of fun (yes I know I’m a nutrition geek!), getting in the kitchen cooking/ experimenting and knowing what food best to help recover after I train is an additional benefit.
Pre-run snack try and aim for slow releasing carbs to keep your body going we all know oats are a great source of energy and for anyone that says ‘I don’t like oats?’ I don’t believe you! There are so many fun delicious ways to eat oats you just have not found a way you enjoy yet.
My cousin Sara became a porridge connoisseur last year with a multitude of fun ideas and each bowl was a work of art.
Personally, my favourite part about my run, post run meal! Running uses up so much energy it’s important to get your carbs in post run to provide your body with a new energy source along with some protein.
Post run (or any work out) meal of the week:
• Red lentil pasta (you can get this in most super markets).
• Chicken sausages (I’m currently on a two week vegan challenge & have switched these for vegan friendly Linda McCartney sausages and they taste just as good!)
• 1 tin chopped tomatoes (I like the one with the herbs infused)
• 1 chilli
This is such an easy meal prep idea the night before and a great refuel meal!
Simply cook your pasta and sausages to the instructions. I fry off the mushrooms until brown then add in all the other ingredients, once cooked stir in pasta and chopped up sausages.
Not a fan of pasta? Noodles work just as well as you can see. I use Myprotein zero noodles they’re great when you’re high on carbs already that day.