Hello beautiful! Welcome back to the final post in my mini series of best workouts and skin routines depending on the time of day.
We’ve talked the best of AM, powering through the lunch time run and now winding down on a evening.
It might be tempting to finish a tough day at work with a big glass of red and a relax on the sofa, but if you can squeeze in a workout before you get home, you’ll sleep better and help to restore your muscles after a sedentary day.
Personally in a evening I opt for Pilates or yoga, as it can be a game changer for many people. If I’ve had a long day and need to unwind something like Pilates or yoga really helps me focus on the moment and not reliving my day at work. If you go home and replay your day over and over in your head you’ll relive it emotionally and trigged your stress hormone to go crazy << which causes spots and lack of sleep! There’s no way you can do a Pilates class or hold your yoga positions and still think about work… I’ve found these two classes to be very in the moment. Plus it isn’t too intense and won’t leave you struggling to get to sleep at night.
More importantly when it comes to my evening gym bag here’s what I’m packing:
You know what I’m going to say first right? REMOVE YOUR MAKEUP! I am loving Elemis Pro Collagen Cleansing Balm, I literally massage it into my skin (always in a upward motion) and let in sink in while I get changed. Then a quick wipe and everything comes off smoothly. It also leaves your skin feeling hydrated and not dry or tight pre workout and SMELLS AMAZING!
No matter what you decide to do, Pilates, spin, weights or boot camp, don’t wait until your home to cleanse your face. Do it ASAP. I always keep a face cleanser in my gym bag and it doesn’t take long.
Your evening moisturiser is key, because your skin starts regenerating so you want to help give it a boost.
I always use a Vitamin C serum and most nights I’ll use Summer Fridays Jet Lag mask (you only need a pea size amount) but this is because I have such dry skin this really makes a difference, but everyone is different. Which ever moisturiser works for you go with but no matter your skin type you need something.
Oh and I do the above while drinking a peppermint tea which is also great for your skin.
This is a simple and routine but still important. We all know to maintain our cars, teeth, brows & roots but skin is just as important.
Throw on your favourite pjs and get some well beauty sleep!
They’re the most talked about beauty tool of 2019… but what’s so amazing about them.
It’s an ancient Chinese practice that’s been used for thousands of years to help maintain facial fluid, it rejuvenates the elasticity of skin, repairs your skin cells, fights inflammation, improve circulation, reduce wrinkles, replenish your facial muscles and well it just works!
Still not sold?
Firstly I mentioned jade roller as that’s what I have, but these little tools come in a multitude of stones from jade to rose quartz to amethyst (which I’ve just learnt is known for helping creativity so seriously considering investing in a little something made from this for my desk, anyway…)
I wanted to get into why I think these little things are worth the investment, and also to clarify they’re not big bucks! I’ve seen some for £80+ but don’t know anyone who paid that.. Personally mine was £15 from amazon.
• Keep it cool. I keep mine in my fridge, some people keep theirs in little beauty fridges or just somewhere nice and cool. The cool stone on your skin is a great way to A) help depuff your face first thing or reduce any swelling/ water retention and B) stimulates lymphatic drainage. Also around the eyes it feels amazing in a morning.
• ROLL UPWARDS! This helps sculpt your skin and you never want to drag the skin down.
• Always remember the neck, don’t leave your neck out it’s just as important you want to take your routine down to the chest if you can.
I always apply serum to my face first (currently using this amazing vitamin C serum to help boost the brightness of my skin) this also helps lubricate the skin allowing the roller to move smoothly over your skin.
The added bonus is that the stone doesn’t absorb any of the serum just helps to work it into your skin making sure your skin gets all the benefits from your chosen serum.
Why I’m so in love:
• It’s skin care
• Mindcare (I just sit there for a couple of minutes rolling my skin listening to a podcast or just breathing, kinda like meditation)
• It’s selfcare
It’s all of these wrapped into one pretty little tool!
Breakdown of the different rollers:
Rose quartz: this stone is associated with bringing love into your life. I’ve also read that cleopatra bathed with this stone.
Jade: is associated with luck and is considered to bring balance.
Amethyst: as I mentioned this is associated with creativity and is a Kardashian favourite right now.
We’re all guilty of a little #wanderlust & why not? What’s not to love about seeing the world, experiencing new cultures & ways of life & genuinely having a great time.
I’m not one of the people that can rock up to a beach & set up camp for two weeks, it’s just not my style. I want to explore, meet new people & eat everything the country has to offer me! Travelling for me is the best kind of exercise, I walk until my legs can’t go any further, I laugh until my abs hurt & I eat guilt free which is great for the soul don’t you agree? Okay I also drink my body weight but hey I’m on holiday.
As you may have seen from my Instagram lately (@reali_tee) or my last blog post I’ve recently spent two weeks exploring Italy. My boyfriend & I rented a fiat 500 & set off around Tuscany hill hoping from town to town. Honestly in Tuscany it’s always leg day. There’s always a tower I want to climb with a minimum of 400 vertical steps, I do love to hit my 10k step count and walking is the best way to see the city, beautiful gardens & art galleries. At the beach? What a beautiful way to see the coast line & all the hidden rock pools/ caves. A few years back on a girls holiday we ended up on a mini hike all day up & down it actually turned out to be a laugh & everyone enjoyed it.
It may not be the same as a heavy weight session in the gym but in 35C+ heat you will definitely be sweating your ass off!
As I’m all about looking after my skin pre, during & post sweating while looking good on the go I wanted to share with you some of the key products I took away with me. We both agreed to travel light so I strategically considered what products I would need to keep me looking fresh day & night, you never know when you’ll see the next selfie moment on the go.
1) SPF! This should not come as a surprise as I’m always going on about the importance of sun protection. The burnt lobster look was never & will never be in fashion. I’m sorry I don’t get the craze of people being impressed with how red they went after one day in the sun, it’s uncomfortable, painful, causes cancer & ruins your holiday. I may not have been by the sea this time but walking around towns & cities it’s still important to protect your skin. Your skin is a organ, the biggest one you have. Take care of it. I love love love Bali body, it’s natural ingredients hydrate my skin smell amazing & ensure I’m protected.
On the subject of UV rays never forget your shades, on my first trip to Italy in January 2016 my delightful cousin brought her trusty Raybans, myself & our friend laughed at her for this, it’s January who needs shades? Please see below the following photo of Sara looking ever so happy with two squinty companions … not a strong look.
Tee’s Tip: unsure if you need sun cream? Take a look at your shadow, short shadows mean low UV long shadows cream up!
2) Disciple Balance mist. I love a face mist anyway, especially after a workout, it just picks you straight back up hydrates the skin & helps takes you from sweaty to glowy. Designed for long flights and late nights you can use this product anywhere, anytime for anything. If a product isn’t multi functional it’s not making the cut into my suitcase or gym bag & this one’s a personal fav. It’s super hydrating & fights inflammatory skin issues, including adult acne, eczema and premature ageing. WINNER I also love that the brand is completely clean & natural. This was the perfect size to carry around either in my daily backpack for a quick pick me up or in my evening bag to help keep my makeup in place.
3) Lanolips 101– what I didn’t say about this in my microblog on Instagram probably isn’t worth mentioning. This product is the master of multitasking.
4) Mr Natty Sea Salt Spray, great British company with some great products. Okay yes Mr Natty is a barber & I may have used my fair share of my boyfriends product here. BUT… sharing is caring after all & this sea salt spray smelt amazing, added texture to my hair & kept my wavy curls looking tame(ish) & natural. Also in my defence the bottle reads for surfers & mermaids…
5) My moisturiser of choice… IT Cosmetics CC cream, I’m not a fan of loads of makeup anyway & on holiday I wear even less, it just clogs your pores up and I feel icky. This simple product is not only SPF 50 but basically airbrushes your face leaving you looking natural & flawless in one product. I got this miniature from Boots.
So there’s my 5 travel / leg day in the city essentials. All are multifunctional & effortless but I still fell like it’s worth mentioning my two ride or die beauty hacks, 1) water & 2) sleep.
Even more than normal I make sure to stay hydrated on holiday, it’s so important when you’re moving around so much, with the added heat & additional alcohol my bag was never missing a bottle of water.
Benefit of being on holiday, additional beauty sleep… after an incredibly early flight & the excitement of wanting to explore Perugia (our first stop) we headed straight out after we had checked in, did a little exploring got some food a few aeprol spritz & by the time we crashed out we slept for about 12 hours. Unsurprisingly I spent the rest of the holiday without dark rings under my eyes. Shall we see how long that lasts?
Are you planning your summer holiday or getting ready to pack your bags? What beauty products make the cut? I want to know, comment below.
So I recently I wrote about the simple rules of skin care, one of which was doing your own thing.
I’m sad to say… I broke my own rule.
The reason I started this blog was because I was reading so many beauty, skincare blogs however none of them giving me exactly what I wanted, just bits and pieces. I follow so many of these bloggers on Instagram filling my feed with beautiful layouts of bright colours and textures and the same products over and over. Typically you see the likes of Drunk Elephant, Glow Recipe, Glam Glow, The ordinary etc… The hype on these brands is difficult to miss and I found myself reading all these amazing reviews that I was dying to add these products to my shelfie.
So when it came to placing a new order I decided to try a few new products and fortunately got the chance to try a few extra sample sizes of other products I was dying to try. (not gifted by the way just promotions at checkout available to everyone).
Here’s the thing… like I said everyone is different and my skin takes the concept of unique to a new level. Ever since I was a child it’s been super delicate, even changing washing powder I can brake out in a rash. This is made more complicated when brands start to change their ingredients and my skin does not agree.
Everyone is different, one of these products with such great reviews actually sat on my skin and didn’t sink in at all, in fact it went like flaky glue on face. You know when prick stick dries and you can rub it off but it flakes… not attractive!
This is the main reason I love travel size products, it gives me the chance to try something on a small scale without splashing out on a full size product that isn’t going to sting tingle and leave me looking like the angry hulk. Also they are grate for fitting in your gym bag and don’t take up as much room!
Red inflamed and swollen is not the in look this summer! Trust me on that people. That inflamed beetroot look is a real struggle for me, ESPECIALLY post workout. Here’s a few things I try to do to help limit any inflammation:
I try and avoid vitamin A products. All vitamins are important, but some products contain the active ingredient retinoids which can cause irritation if overused.
Avoid hot showers & baths.
Exfoliate sparingly, I know after a good workout a good scrub feels so good but overdoing it can cause redness and tightness of the skin.
I’ve started using The Ordinary Azelaic Acid brightening formula which is known for reducing redness & unclogging pores, it’s still early days on this product but I’ve been mixing a little in my daily moisturiser which is working well.
COLLAGEN! This is a absolute winner for me! I know it’s one of the it products talked about right now but this is a product I believe in, it’s full of amino acids which is not only great for your joints but also for reducing inflammatory. I’ve been using powdered collagen lately and adding it to smoothies.
Top foods to help with inflammation; pineapple and blueberries. I literally eat them every chance I get. I’m loving dried pineapples at the moment but I’m not sure that’s as good for you, I may need to do my research.
As always the opinions in this post are my own and no products were gifted.
So you know how I love to talk wellness on Wednesdays & today is no different. I consider wellness to be an element of beauty as without a balanced life how can you really shine? You can’t reach your full potential, if you can it’s a tiring struggle. Today I want to talk about confidence, & what it means to you. Let’s face it, confidence is essential.
Firstly whether you love to strut around like a VS model in a pair of sexy heels or you prefer the more hippy chic look and wear your kicks everywhere. I don’t care if you wear tight mini skirts and low cut tops, or if you love a onesie and never want to come out or if you are one of those girls that live head to toe in their gym wear. YOU ARE RIGHT. What ever makes you feel confident, what ever makes you feel your best and flatters you. YOU ARE RIGHT. Not fitting into a stereotype does not make you less of a woman (or man, or whichever gender you relate to) & if you haven’t figured out what makes you hold your head up high like a badass boss have some fun working it out. Personally I love a dark edgy look with tight jeans and a pair of statement heels as much as I love a denim mini skirt, t-shirt and pumps. You can dress everything up or down so it’s all about finding your balance. Now to own it…
Why you should own it? When you’re feeling more confident it shows. Like really shows through, it’s in your walk, it shines through your pores, it’s the slight change in the tone of your voice. AND it’s contagious. Genuine confidence is contagious, people are attracted to that kind of energy, but it has to be genuine if you try too hard people will pick up on that & you’ll come across more annoying than confidence. (But that’s not to say you shouldn’t fake it- see below).
Confidence looks good on everyone!
Okay I get that all of this is much easier said than done… in today’s society we have more anxious surroundings than ever before, and that’s just by unlocking your phone. One thing I hear repeated over and over again is ‘I’m so self conscious in the gym I feel like everyone is looking at me and judging.’
Please please PLEASE… stop looking around the gym and judging people. Because I can grantee the 99% of the people in the gym are there to be themselves and the best version of that they can be. Which brings me to my next point, & one I’ve mentioned a few times lately in different forms but it’s so true and the secret to beauty. We are all unique, you are the only you out there. Just do you & own it.
Here are a few of the things that help boost my confidence when I most need it;
1) Always be grateful – Simple but efficient. If you stop & think about it there is always something to be grateful for. Walking into your first fitness class ever… no everyone can do that and you should be grateful you found the strength to get out of your comfort zone & go for it. There’s something to be said for stopping to smell the roses (or even the rosé). Smile. Laugh. Enjoy life. Today I’m grateful for family, friends, boyfriend, my car, spinach pasta, my favourite trainers & the ability to read & write. Below is a book on confidence that I loved, and was so surprised at how many badass woman out there lack it.
2) Do you- okay this is something I struggled with for soooo many years. I was so focussed on what everyone else was doing, wearing, eating, was I doing it right? OMG The stress it takes to live like this, the anxiety the pressure. I got to a point where I would make myself so ill, it just wasn’t worth it. Do you and forget what everyone else is doing. Evolve at your own speed, what feels right and natural for you. Push yourself to do better against yourself. I love the saying ‘if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree you’ll never know how intelligent it is.’ This is because we are all different, all unique. Being you is a superpower, embrace it.
3) Get fancy – I love love love dressing up, the hair the makeup the right outfit, splash of lipstick. Who am I making all this effort for? Well me! I deserve to look good for me. & so do you. Now please don’t think I take hours and hours to get ready, time is not a luxury I often possess & even when I do I much prefer to be out out having fun then getting ready. Some basic moisturiser (with an SPF obviously) bit of foundation or a CC cream with some thick luscious lashes, thick brows and a tinted lip balm with a badass outfit and you’ll be amazed at how great you feel 40 minutes later. Find a look that suits your style, keep it flattering & dress for you! I brought the below dress last year and everyone I showed it to before hand had reservations but I knew it would look fabulous… (thank you ASOS).
4) Break free- breaking out of your comfort zone is something I wrote about here. It’s a real confidence booster when you realise how far exactly you’ve come. ALWAYS step out of your comfort zone, even if it’s just one small thing. Recently my cousin & I attended a networking event for woman. Neither of us knew what to expect & had both considered dropping out, we didn’t, we went along & actually really enjoyed it. It may be scary as hell, but once you’re out of that comfort zone you’ll see and you’ll want to keep moving forward. Break through one zone at a time.
5) Keep it positive- No matter what, always try and keep it positive. Even with the words you are using, I do this more and more and it’s slowly becoming a natural habit. Instead of saying ‘I hope nothing goes wrong’ try ‘I’m sure it will all go to plan’ Focus on putting that positive energy out there, and it will also tell your brain to be more positive. As I said earlier you can’t fake confidence but you can do things to help trick yourself into believing it and by the time you realise you were faking it it may no longer be fake. I honestly thought for well over a year that I had no idea how to do my job, that I was just faking it and one day someone would call me into the office and sack me. Turns out that by going to work each day and trying to figure it out and doing my best, I actually learnt how to do my job without ever shadowing anyone.
Now your turn… What do you do to feel more confident?
It’s that time of the month again… payday! Payday = shopping. After carefully reviewing my shelfie and making a mental note of what products I needed I headed to town to pick up and test some new products. Now I know you’re probably thinking WTF, you went to a shop? And yes I usually browse my favourite online stores from my sofa and get it all delivered but this month I not only wanted to get my step count in but also felt like seeing a few actually products and what was new. Plus I’m not going to lie I love smelling pretty much every product on the shelf!
One item I was interested in was IT COSMETICS CC Cream as I’d heard amazing things about it (but that’s a whole other blog post) when I headed over to the new counter within a few short minutes the sales assistant was asking me about my routine, I almost laughed. When it comes to Instagramable skin I have 5 simple rules. These rules apply 24/7. At the gym, at home, on a night out it doesn’t matter these are simple rules on the go for glowy skin. It’s that simple! Just 5 easy things to remember.
1) You are what you eat. I’ve spoken before about glowing from the inside out and how important nutrition is but honestly the more organic and natural you can keep your diet the more you can see and feel the difference. We’ve all been there, Saturday night got a little cray cray and you woke up the next morning with a McDonald’s (no? Just me then?) by the time you get to the office Monday your face has broken out into pimple central. Crap food = crap body 💩 Clear radiant skin needs veggies and berries. More kale less chicken nuggets. I known some of you may hate me for saying that but unfortunately it’s a true fact. Kale, blueberries & sweet potato are all a yes from me ✅✅✅ Avoid white bread, this is devil food (dad I hope you’re reading this!) white bread causes antinutrients which can make it harder for your body to absorb good nutrients. So next time you’re looking for something to help your skin at a supermarket move from the toiletries isle to the fruit & veg section.
2) Everything in moderation and that goes for your makeup as well. I have a very specific skin routine (even post workout) at the moment that is really working for my skin, but I’m not going to undo all that hard work by blocking my pores with layers of make up. It’s unnecessary. I’m very much about the natural glowy look and to me make up should enhance your features not make you into a different person. Don’t over complicate your routine and don’t wear so many layers of makeup you no longer represent you. And always always ALWAYS remember to remove makeup before going to bed. No one wants to wake up looking like a member of an 80’s rock band with all that smudged mascara and eyeliner. The smudged black eye look is out!
3) SPF when it comes to beauty I don’t think any blog post should not mention SPF because it’s that important. There are two types of sun rays, UVB which are rays that burn your skin, and increasing ageing of your skin. Then there’s UVA which are present all year round and penetrate clouds, windows anything and these do causing ageing effects of the skin. You can never have enough SPF in your life and you really should prioritise products that already contain these. I’m not saying avoid the sun and wear a hat everywhere you go, although if you want to feel free. Personally I love the sun it just requires some common sense when out and about. Tee’s tip: if products do say they have an SPF factor great but always check they protect against BOTH UVA & UVA.
4) Mental clarity. You may have seen I wrote about this earlier this week & you may have thought what has this got to do with beauty? Stay with me here, I’m not going off brand. Being stressed out causes a hormone known as cortisol in the body which when released into your system will ruin your skin & sleep patterns (which also has a knock on effect to your skin). With this bitch of a hormone flowing freely around your body it’s going to rob your skin a nutrients. Less stress = clear radiant skin and a more manageable life. WIN. WIN.
5) My final and most lived by rule… what works for one won’t always work for you. Each and every single one of us are unique. Although we love to share tips and tricks what works for your bff might not work for you, & no one knows you & your skin better than you. I have the fortune of sharing DNA with the beautiful lady below but you know what, if she swears by a product it’s probably not for me. Our skin types are SO different. Don’t get me wrong I’m ecstatic she’s loving herself more and her skin and I’ll gladly give tips on how to apply a product or if I’ve seen a product talked about online which might be suited to her skin type I’ll tag her or send her a message ASAP. However there are very few products I would pull out of my selection and hand over as a MUST TRY RIGHT THIS MOMENT. It just doesn’t work like that. So in the words of my lovely cousin, honey just do you.
So there you have it my five rules, almost commandments I’d say.
How many of these do you break and what are your rules?
I LOVE working out, there’s something really satisfying about getting a sweat on, especially first thing in the morning, it really sets the tone of my day. I also love to mix up my workouts, yes I have a weight training schedule along with yoga and Pilates but cardio is where it really gets fun. I’ve never really been a fan of cardio, it’s more of a necessity but I’m always looking for ways to enjoy it. So here’s the two versions of cardio I don’t hate, running with friends and swimming. Two great workouts both equally hate your skin. Regular outdoor exercise equals skin issues, dry, flakey, dully skin. Swimming has been my go to for the last 5 years and the thing that got me into fitness but the chlorine and my skin do NOT mix. I always come out feeling great about myself until the irrational red skin kicks in and I’m glad to dry brush my skin and a cool shower.
A few months ago while scrolling through Instagram I saw all the usual fitness influencers and their beautiful glowy skin in post workout pictures and was like WTF I do not look like this! Not even after Pilates. So I decided to slide into a few DM’s and ask exactly what products these woman were using to look that great after a workout. Not going to lie by the third or forth ‘oh thanks honestly I just drink a lot of water’ I was a bit bored of the generic responses. Yes hydrate but I want specifics on your skin routines! Finally I got a worthwhile response 🙌🏻
Fré Skincare. (I’ve mentioned this brand a few times before so get ready for my full review) I jumped straight onto google to find out what I could about this brand and it turns out designed especially for sweaty skin. It’s scientifically developed to protect the skin from the elements AND keep it hydrated without blocking your pores. Best of all it’s 100% vegan and cruelty free not to mention they don’t use parabens or mineral oil. They fill their products with loads of essential fatty acids to help maintain the the skins health along with vitamins A B & E which fight pollution and prevent wrinkles.
Right so they have so many different sets out from recovery to glow to detox and I was so confused where to start. I contacted the team directly asking what would best suit my needs and they recommended the Starter Kit. It contains their top three daily essentials as miniatures to help you get a feel for the product and they even come in a perfect string bag to pop straight into your gym bag. (Also I’m in love with miniatures at the moment they’re so handy on the go and let you test products without fully committing).
I’ve basically being using these three products everyday for a month and have to say they are worth the investment.
The Purify Me is the perfect hydrating gentle exfoliator, it uses jojoba beads for natural exfoliation without being too harsh on your skin. These remove dead skin cells and impurities from the pores while restoring the skins pH level for a clear complexion. Since using this daily I no longer get that tight skin tingling after washing my face.
Revive Me, as soon as I read that this product helps regenerate collagen i was sold. If you saw my Instagram post this week you’ll know I’ve been obsessed with collagen lately and this added boost has really helped promote a natural energised glow thanks to its cocktails of minerals and vitamins.
AND TO FINISH IT OFF… Protect Me, the ultimate light weight SPF moisturiser. Now you know I don’t leave the house without my SPF, if the suns up the SPF is on. I take this so seriously. Not only is this ultra light but it’s super quick to absorb into the skin. It’s designed to protect against UVA (the A is for ageing and these rays are always present even on the most over cast of days) UVB and pollution but it’s formula is designed not to run down your face when you get a little sweaty. Best of all it certainly doesn’t leave that horrible salty effect on your skin, you know the one I mean when you’ve had a really good hot sweaty session but your skin is producing salt by the gallon.
I honestly loved this collection and what’s great is that when you by a product on their site you can sign up for subscriptions so you don’t even have to worry about running out, they’ll deliver your next batch right to your door.
This post wasn’t sponsored and nothing here was gifted these are products I brought based on a recommendation that paid off and I wanted to share with all of you.
Your turn… what’s the first product you use when leaving the gym?
I don’t know about you, but I see so many conflicting things telling me about what I should and shouldn’t be doing when it comes to my skincare regime that I get confused as to what I should actually be doing. This and the added pressure of constantly dealing with post workout sweat and battle of the breakout, means my simple routine has become a bit of a minefield.
Personally, I LOVE skincare. I will find any excuse to try out a new product (cruelty free of course!) and I count down the days to my favourite time of the month – getting a facial. However, I do understand that this isn’t a luxury for everyone and with today’s fast paced world taking 20 minutes out of your routine for some facial self-love isn’t always possible… So, to help, I’ve put together 5 simple and easy steps to help you get ‘Instagramble’ skin. Helping you look as great as you feel when walking out the gym and ready to rock a day at work.
Step 1: DON’T TOUCH YOUR FACE!
If you’re like me, then you already HATE people touching your face and bat away any hands that come at you, but how about your own? You should also be keeping your own hands off your own face while you’re at the gym, here’s why.
If you’re not sweating at the gym you’re not doing it right, right? With the best will in the world even those of us that wipe down the machines after we’ve used them still leave behind living bacteria and do you really want to put other peoples sweat germs on your face? Just the thought of it is probably making you say, “EWWW!”
Also keep your hair off your face! If you’re a haircare junkie, all those products although they make your hair look worthy of an L’Oréal advert, they’re just going to run onto your face and block up your pores and potentially cause breakouts in the skin.
Step 2: GENTLY DOES IT.
Let’s face it (no pun intended) nothing feels better after the gym than a good scrub and feeling fresh as a daisy, but this happens to be the number one mistake people make after the gym.
Too much exfoliation of the skin can lead to dehydration and even back to back boxercise classes don’t call for that. If you’re prone to eczema (like me) this is something you really want to avoid. My new favourite cleanser is Fré Skincare Hydrating Facial Cleanser. Fré Skin is designed for skin that sweats and this cleanser gently exfoliates the skin without stripping it of its moisture. There’s no tightness after using this product, no tingling and so it’s my new gym bag must have!
Step 3: GET MOIST.
Your face may be damp but sweat is removing moisture from your face so it’s important to replace any moisture you’ve lost after. Finding a moisturiser that works for you isn’t easy and there’s a lot of trial and error. I’m currently trying the new organic Garnier range Lemongrass Daily Moisturiser it’s vegan friendly and enriched with aloe vera and Botanical Glycerin and smells AMAZING!!!
For dry skin rich creams are the way forward but keep them light so they are easily absorbed by your skin. However, if you are breakout prone then opt for an oil-free moisturiser. Do not skimp on the moisturiser, this is not a ‘pea size’ amount situation, start small and build it up. Get to know your skin and how much suits your skin.
Also, don’t forget to take it down low! This isn’t just about your face it’s about your skin. Most of us probably have our necks and chest on as much show as our faces at the gym, exposing them to all the same elements and so, they should receive the same love and care.
Step 4: HYDRATE.
The easiest way to keep your skin hydrated is from within. I like to drink my body weight in water and green tea daily. Seriously I LOVE Twining’s Glow Tea, it tastes so good and is sweet enough to stamp out any cheeky cravings I get. The one I’m currently drinking is also full of biotin to help your hair and skin. It’s so good I got my cousin addicted and if you ever ask her she’ll claim’I NEVER WANTED TO TRY THIS ANYWAY!’ And now she drinks it daily.
It’s so important to keep hydrated throughout the day, one bottle of water post workout isn’t going to recover everything you lost in that sweat session.
Step 5: S P F
Because I don’t talk about this enough right? Even if you’re walking back from the gym you need to protect your skin from further harm. Even if it’s overcast and raining, don’t be fooled! The sun is still there and those UVA rays are still breaking through. Make sure your SPF of choice covers both UVA and UVB protection. A lot of moisturisers do but it’s good to double check. Fré Skin care ‘Protect Me’ has a SFP 30 and protects against UVA, UVB, IRA rays and air pollution. What’s better than a multifunctional product, all of the benefits and less time applying products.
Thanks for reading, these are just a few tips and tricks that have really helped me especially when I’m in a rush. It’s important to at least remember the basics! I’d like to say that none of the products above are gifted they are just items I buy either through recommendation or walking up and down the isles of stores and like to try out and let you guys know my thoughts.
Are you guilty of neglecting any of these? What is your one golden rule post workout?
Most people I know listen to me talk about my schedule and say, ‘wow you’re so busy!’ Or, ‘you may be one of the busiest people I know.’ But, you know I’m an everything girl right? I love keeping myself occupied and this is something I am unapologetic about. However, I do listen to people’s concerns of ‘you don’t stop.’
What many people don’t know, is how ill I got at the age of 16 when I ran myself into the ground. I was going to college in the day, studying in my breaks, working night shifts and full day shifts on a weekend, while still going out in every other waking moment.
I was 16 and I thought I could do it all, who needed sleep anyway? One afternoon sat in class, I felt a chill and the one side of my face literally felt like it had been numbed, it was a weird sensation that crept over my face very slowly. I remember poking my face and not being able to feel it, panicking and thinking what’s going on? I opened my mouth to talk and felt that my face wasn’t moving correctly. I headed straight home, avoiding my reflection all the way, knowing something about my face wasn’t right. I got home and looked in the mirror, okay I look normal… I opened my mouth like I was trying to yawn and there it was. Half my face was paralysed, it essentially looked like the scream mask.
I was FREAKING OUT! My mom laughed and when I called my dad in hysterics, he bluntly told me ‘you have Bell’s palsy, you need to see a GP first thing tomorrow.’
‘But I have work tomorrow morning.’
‘You can’t work.’
I started to panic again, I didn’t love going to work, but I couldn’t not turn up to a shift, I’d worked shifts low staffed and it’s horrible. I didn’t want to put people through that.
When I woke in the morning, my face was stiff and numb, like when you come out of the dentists after a couple of hours trying to have your teeth removed. Also, my eye had started to drop in fact the left side of my face had dropped even the side of my mouth.
The GP confirmed my dad’s theory, Bell’s palsy. He explained this was trigged by a viral infection and most likely not allowing my body to recover correctly, it occurs when the seventh cranial nerve becomes swollen or compressed, the result facial paralysis action. The recovery… 9 months on average.
Back then medication was rarely prescribed and I refused steroids. I was going to get back to me and on my own terms. I needed to prioritise my schedule and recovery had to be up there.
It has taken many years of practise and building habits to break them to start to find something that works well for me, so click below and what it is I do to help myself keep running at light-speed and a few tricks I use to help prevent my skin giving away how tired I really am.
Hi again! The weekend is quickly approaching and if you’re a everything girl like me you want to nail your ‘out out’ look without getting stressed over your flick not being perfect (side note it may never be even, we talk about that below).
You may have seen on Instagram that a day I had planned to spend in Cologne all went Pete Tong when our flights were drastically disrupted by the bad weather. However refusing to be a negative Nancy and let this ruin our mother daughter day out I put my passport back into my bag and headed over to customer services challenging my inner girlboss, with my mom in chasing behind me and after 20 minutes waiting in a detention area we were escorted out of the airport and headed off to sunny (be it very cold) London.
Now to turn this day around without leaving the country even though we had both been up since 4am(after not arriving at the hotel until midnight thanks to my mother forgetting her passport… stress levels were HIGH) we were both in need of some serious pampering. I knew just the place!
Bobbie Brown to the rescue for a much needed make over, and the team there were amazing. I asked soooo many questions like ‘why use a brush and not a sponge?’ ‘Why only put the foundation to the chin?’ ‘What colours should I avoid?’ etc etc… and I learned so much and got to leave with a flawless face not looking at all tired.
So whether you’re heading out to meet the girls for brunch, it’s date night or you just want to look fabulous for you, here are some tips and tricks on how to ‘Glam Up!’
Please note as always the opinions expressed are my own, and a lot of makeup techniques are personal preference, you may think ‘Oh hey I’ll try that thanks’ (& I hope you do) but you may also think ‘Oh hell no that does not work!)