Hello beautiful! Welcome back to the final post in my mini series of best workouts and skin routines depending on the time of day.
We’ve talked the best of AM, powering through the lunch time run and now winding down on a evening.
It might be tempting to finish a tough day at work with a big glass of red and a relax on the sofa, but if you can squeeze in a workout before you get home, you’ll sleep better and help to restore your muscles after a sedentary day.
Personally in a evening I opt for Pilates or yoga, as it can be a game changer for many people. If I’ve had a long day and need to unwind something like Pilates or yoga really helps me focus on the moment and not reliving my day at work. If you go home and replay your day over and over in your head you’ll relive it emotionally and trigged your stress hormone to go crazy << which causes spots and lack of sleep! There’s no way you can do a Pilates class or hold your yoga positions and still think about work… I’ve found these two classes to be very in the moment. Plus it isn’t too intense and won’t leave you struggling to get to sleep at night.
More importantly when it comes to my evening gym bag here’s what I’m packing:
You know what I’m going to say first right? REMOVE YOUR MAKEUP! I am loving Elemis Pro Collagen Cleansing Balm, I literally massage it into my skin (always in a upward motion) and let in sink in while I get changed. Then a quick wipe and everything comes off smoothly. It also leaves your skin feeling hydrated and not dry or tight pre workout and SMELLS AMAZING!
No matter what you decide to do, Pilates, spin, weights or boot camp, don’t wait until your home to cleanse your face. Do it ASAP. I always keep a face cleanser in my gym bag and it doesn’t take long.
Your evening moisturiser is key, because your skin starts regenerating so you want to help give it a boost.
I always use a Vitamin C serum and most nights I’ll use Summer Fridays Jet Lag mask (you only need a pea size amount) but this is because I have such dry skin this really makes a difference, but everyone is different. Which ever moisturiser works for you go with but no matter your skin type you need something.
Oh and I do the above while drinking a peppermint tea which is also great for your skin.
This is a simple and routine but still important. We all know to maintain our cars, teeth, brows & roots but skin is just as important.
Throw on your favourite pjs and get some well beauty sleep!
Welcome back to my mini workout & beauty schedule series. I started with the best morning workouts and how to prep your skin and next up (drum roll please…) the lunch time power hour!
If you follow me on Instagram or read a few of my posts you know I love a lunch time run, it’s a great way to get some fresh air and gives you a boost of energy for getting through the afternoon.
Research’s suggest that a workout midday means you’ll get back to your desk happier and ready for a more productive afternoon. It’s so important to keep your body moving especially if you spend your days sat at a desk. Full body workouts are recommended, boxing seems to be the activity of choice for a lot of people with 30-45 minute classes. This is because it gets your body moving in a multitude of angles and is a great for working through some stuff if you’ve had a stressful morning! << it’s on my list of things to try.
I know it’s a pain and can be daunting to remove your makeup and it’s quicker just to sweat through but trust me here… take it off and your skin will thank you for it. Sweating through layers of makeup is only going to result in uncomfortable red and sensitive blemishes, which ends up needing more makeup to cover up and before you know it it’s the never ending circle of makeup coverage and break outs.
Always carry some makeup remover with you, I’m not a fan of wipes as I think they pull at your skin far too much, but whatever you choice to remove your makeup quickly is better than leaving it on. I am really loving Glov, this on the go cleansing glove, it’s perfect because I just leave it in my gym bag and I’ve always got it with me.
Now you’re ready to kick some ass at your chosen workout!
Once your workout is done cleanse your skin again, you don’t need to make this a look no process or anything fancy. Even just hot water and soap is all you need.
Post-workout I use a mist spray first to help rehydrate my face and because it’s soooo refreshing then Dr. Jart+ Cicapair Tiger Grass Colour Correcting Treatment I’ve found this really helps to hide signs of fatigue while helping to keep the skin hydrated, don’t be put off by the green colour of the cream it turns beige when it comes into contact with your skin I promise. I wait for this to set in and then use my absolute favourite IT Cosmetics CC cream, honestly I don’t even own a foundation at the moment I just use this all the time. These simple products teamed with Big glass of water will also help skin to stay plump throughout the afternoon.
Don’t forget to head back to your desk and eat something with a carb/protein ratio of about 2-1; it could be a smoothie or a protein bar, but after so much muscle-building you want to make sure you have enough protein to support muscle growth.
BTS: loading my salad up to get me through the afternoon:
Hey hey hey. You know I’m a girl that’s on the go but looking after herself 24/7 so I’ve put together a mini series for you guys to walk you through what I do throughout the day and WHY.
I’m someone who likes to mix up their routines whether that’s morning noon or evening. I’m generally a morning person and like to get my ass out of bed and moving before I give myself the excuse not to! However I do try and add some structure to what I’m doing at what time of day and consider what my skin and body need post workout to help me be the best version of me. I’ve put together a mini series to share with you over the next couple of weeks to get real specific about what I do when and what is essential to my beauty routine straight after.
Honestly timing is everything when it comes to exercise, when you workout you put your body under pressure and you get your stress hormones going so I like to keep the level of exercise in line with the time of day. For example you may think that if you do a hardcore workout late in the evening you’ll go home and crash out, not necessarily! When you get your heart rate up and the blood pumping mixed with the endorphins it can be stimulating for the brain making it harder to get a good nights rest. I’ve talked about it before, but sleep is one of my beauty ride or dies.
Everyone is different and some people do find it better to workout in an evening or maybe it just fits into your schedule easier, you have to do you here and find your sweet-spot. It will make all the difference but whatever the time of day pack your gym bag with glow-inducing skincare essentials for healthy glowy skin 24/7.
Depending on what kind of day I’ve got planned and whether I’ve made it into the gym or I’m at home depends on whether I’m doing weights or a full body HIIT workout. No matter which one I go with I ALWAYS start with some basic yoga stretches.
When you’ve been lying down for 8 hours you can’t just hop right to it (and you should always warm up anyway). Yoga can be energising and uplifting first thing and helps you wake up your body in a healthy way. Little tip I learnt in one of the many hours I spent reading… lunging with your right leg forward first helps aid your digestion system and that’s good for everyone!
Both HIIT and weights are known for burning calories even after you’ve finished your workout so I love doing these first thing, also more I challenge myself before 7am the more I feel I’ve achieved and it really helps set the tone of my day. I feel like I can do anything!
I know I preach the importance of washing your face but I also know there’s a balance and washing too much is bad for the skin- you don’t want to strip your skin of it’s natural oils.
Pre morning workout I actually don’t do anything apart from brush my teeth and drink green tea and a quick spray of my favourite balancing mist to help wake me up and give my skin a boost of hydration.
Post morning workout skin is where I get serious. Let’s brake it down.
1) Dry brush! Have you heard about dry brushing? I feel like most people have & are on board but if not let me give you a quick summary. I got mine off amazon and it’s a little hand held brush for exfoliating. You use it while your skin is still dry (hence the name dry brushing) then starting at your ankles you work your way up the body in circular motions towards the heart. This not only wakes your body up in a morning but is also amazing for your circulation and lymphatic drainage.
2) Shower. I’ll wash my face in the shower with warm water. Always start with warm water as it opens the pores so you can clean your skin and get any dirt or sweat out of them. Last 30 seconds blast the cold! It’s a great way to wake yourself up and also close your pores. I try not to get cold water on my face as I still want my skincare to sink in.
3) Moisturisers, YOUR WHOLE DAMN BODY! Your skin is an organ and the biggest one you have. It covers all of you and it all needs to be kept hydrated especially if you’ve worked up a pretty decent sweat. By now if I’m at home I’m probably on my second green tea or peppermint if I’m at the gym I’ll be on my second bottle of water. Always looking after my skin inside out.
4) Right clothes on now for the face, from all the podcasts I’ve listened to, all the blog posts, microblogging and books I’ve read there’s one thing I’ve learnt that you can’t ignore. When it comes to applying skincare start with the most water based products and work up the the heavier ones. A toner or serum isn’t going to sink in through an oil so your getting none of the benefits. I go; mist, toner, serum, colour corrector (not everyday but some days it’s a must more than others), Rosehip oil (eyes & forehead only), moisturiser, spf then makeup AND ALWAYS WITH A COLD JADE ROLLER. It’s less complicated then it sounds I promise, & here’s a sneak at what my current layout looks like…
5) Quick restyle and freshen up of the hair, I hardly wash it and try to avoid using heat so my hair is pretty low maintenance 6 days a week and I’m ready to head to work.
By this point I’m probably starting to get a little hungry as well so I’ll grab a pre-made juice or smoothie with added collagen to help boost hydration and keep your skin looking glowy while reducing fine lines and wrinkles from within. The perfect age prevention cocktail.
What’s your favourite AM workout or are you up & out?
So this has been a talking point for me lately, mostly because I HATE washing my hair. It’s effort and it ruins my colour. It’s been a few months now but I only wash my hair once a week and I try and tie that in with a swim session it just makes sense.
Last week heading back from our yoga and brunch morning (yes I’m aware this sounds basic but what are Sundays for really…) my cousin turned to me and voiced her concerns around dandruff. It’s not something either of us have ever had previously but I couldn’t lie to her, recently usual a day or two before I wash my hair, I do see a few white flakes forming. I have exactly the same concerns!
I’m also not ashamed to say I’ve skipped a workout or two (okay countless workouts) to keep my hair looking fresh, if my boyfriend and I decided to go out for dinner on a Friday evening I’m sure as hell not going running at lunch, I’ll pay for it tomorrow but I want to look good you know?
So I got to do some research on what can cause dandruff and our concerns were verified… sweat and product build up on the scalp do cause dandruff.
Here are 3 tips I wanted to share that will keep your hair fresher without the haunting experience of washing it after every workout, because let’s face it we all have places to be and lives to be getting on with.
1) Dry shampoo. I know this must sound like an obvious statement. We all use dry shampoo it’s the ride or die beauty product we all own. But here’s a little secret, you wouldn’t start working out without a warm up and you shouldn’t hit the gym without pre dry shampooing your hair. Yep! That’s right, apply dry shampoo BEFORE your workout section off your hair and spray onto your roots, paying extra attention to the nape of your neck and I focus on my front hair line as these are the sweetest areas for me. Doing this before you sweat means the dry shampoo will absorb moisture as you workout leaving less sweat on your scalp but without stripping it of natural oils.
2) Style it right. How you style your hair for the workout is so important. If I’m doing something low impact where I’m not going to work up AS much of a sweat I’ll go for braids, cute look and the heat from the workout in the room will help keep my hair wavy afterwards. If I’m running or getting real sweaty I’ll opt for a messy bun. You know the one right on top of your head. This keeps my hair away from the areas that are most likely to get sweat such as the nap of my neck. Short hair you can probably get away with a pony tail but my hair is now at that length that when I run the ends will literally stick to my back… gross I know but true story.
3) Don’t be afraid to get wet. Post workout if you have the time you can still freshen up your hair with a splash of water on the roots and a quick blowout. Just spray some water on your roots blow dry it out, spray with some dry shampoo, maybe some texture spray and I love to finish with this blonde spray that I added a couple of drops of grapefruit oil to to make it smell even better.
But hey we’re all different and everyone’s hair does it’s own thing so only you know you.
What are you doing to keep those locks looking great on the go.
What’s your ride or die gym hair products? Comment below and let me know.
Will definitely try out any tips you guys have for keeping my hair looking as fresh as possible.
So I recently I wrote about the simple rules of skin care, one of which was doing your own thing.
I’m sad to say… I broke my own rule.
The reason I started this blog was because I was reading so many beauty, skincare blogs however none of them giving me exactly what I wanted, just bits and pieces. I follow so many of these bloggers on Instagram filling my feed with beautiful layouts of bright colours and textures and the same products over and over. Typically you see the likes of Drunk Elephant, Glow Recipe, Glam Glow, The ordinary etc… The hype on these brands is difficult to miss and I found myself reading all these amazing reviews that I was dying to add these products to my shelfie.
So when it came to placing a new order I decided to try a few new products and fortunately got the chance to try a few extra sample sizes of other products I was dying to try. (not gifted by the way just promotions at checkout available to everyone).
Here’s the thing… like I said everyone is different and my skin takes the concept of unique to a new level. Ever since I was a child it’s been super delicate, even changing washing powder I can brake out in a rash. This is made more complicated when brands start to change their ingredients and my skin does not agree.
Everyone is different, one of these products with such great reviews actually sat on my skin and didn’t sink in at all, in fact it went like flaky glue on face. You know when prick stick dries and you can rub it off but it flakes… not attractive!
This is the main reason I love travel size products, it gives me the chance to try something on a small scale without splashing out on a full size product that isn’t going to sting tingle and leave me looking like the angry hulk. Also they are grate for fitting in your gym bag and don’t take up as much room!
Red inflamed and swollen is not the in look this summer! Trust me on that people. That inflamed beetroot look is a real struggle for me, ESPECIALLY post workout. Here’s a few things I try to do to help limit any inflammation:
I try and avoid vitamin A products. All vitamins are important, but some products contain the active ingredient retinoids which can cause irritation if overused.
Avoid hot showers & baths.
Exfoliate sparingly, I know after a good workout a good scrub feels so good but overdoing it can cause redness and tightness of the skin.
I’ve started using The Ordinary Azelaic Acid brightening formula which is known for reducing redness & unclogging pores, it’s still early days on this product but I’ve been mixing a little in my daily moisturiser which is working well.
COLLAGEN! This is a absolute winner for me! I know it’s one of the it products talked about right now but this is a product I believe in, it’s full of amino acids which is not only great for your joints but also for reducing inflammatory. I’ve been using powdered collagen lately and adding it to smoothies.
Top foods to help with inflammation; pineapple and blueberries. I literally eat them every chance I get. I’m loving dried pineapples at the moment but I’m not sure that’s as good for you, I may need to do my research.
As always the opinions in this post are my own and no products were gifted.
I recently went to the gym with my mom for the first time, and she was quick to take the opportunity to see what I kept in my gym bag and what I used on my skin straight after. Every time I pulled something out of my bag she would stretch over to have a look, straining her neck and asking ‘what’s that?’ And ‘oooh can I use this please?’ Finally I gave up and asked what she had in her’s and I was shocked! It had a few things in there but not what I would consider the basics. Standing there wrapped in nothing but a towel explaining to my mom what are my gym bag must have’s I decided this was something to share with everyone. My mom was even more shocked to found out that theseproducts were my gym bag products, they live in my bag so when I’m in a rush and heading out the door or going for an improv leg session I know I’ve got everything I need when I’m there. If you hadn’t already figured out I’m an organisational freak- now you know!
So here are my 5 gym bag beauty must have’s and 5 gym bag nice to have’s, you know the one’s where you get to the gym and start looking for and realise you forgot, it’s not the end of the world but you’re a little disappointed in yourself. It’s a basic list to help you get your gym bag together and take with you whether it’s a spare of the moment meet up, planned but you’re running late or early morning and you still have brain fog.
I realised that the most important gym accessory for each and everyone of us was in my ears the whole time I planned, wrote and took the images for this post- HEADPHONES! Who’s with me? I know, I know not technically a beauty product but I think we can all agree the most important part of a workout. I know people that would actually turn around and go home if they forgot their headphones.
1) Water bottle- I don’t think a post goes by where I don’t talk about water. It is by large the most important thing for your skin. Hydrate, before, during and after. Just hydrate. 24/7. You’re skin will thank you for it. Personally I like to mix mine up, I’m currently on mint and lemon water with some crushed ice to keep it cool and refreshing. Mint leaves and known to be good for your complexion and for healthy hair where lemon is a great source of vitamin C and helps digestion.
2) Mist- I LOVE a good refreshing face mist, and I’ve tried so many good ones and made a few of my own, for example rosehip oil, most of them have good hydrating benefits, extra vitamins to help brighten your face etc.. I’m currently in love with this from DISCIPLE Skincare, this brand is everything I’m about, affordable, clean, natural and seriously effective! Balancing Mist may have been designed for long flights and late nights but it’s also great for a pick me up after a late night yoga or Pilates session. This brand is aimed at stressed out adult skin, inflammation and premature ageing. DISCIPLE Skincare is a new find for me so it’s still early days before I tell you to rush out and buy their products but this mist is my new best gym bag friend. (It’s also great to keep in your work bag if you’re having a bad skin day and your make up good do with a boost around lunch).
3) Underwear!!!- Yes clean underwear at all times! When you take your dirties out put some clean ones straight back in. I consider hygiene a big part in beauty so I think this tip qualifies. You’ll also thank my for this tip when you’ve gone to the gym pre work and panic you’ve forgotten a bra. No one wants to spend the day in a sweaty sports bra. These pants are my favourite, a Victoria Secrets find from their sports range they’re seamless and discreet so no pantie line showing through your leggings.
4) Face and body wash – yes as always I’m stressing the fact you need to clean your skin straight away to stop bacteria blocking your pores. Remember you don’t want to over exfoliate a good gentle cleanser is good enough. I’m currently trying a new product so I’ll keep you updated on that! Face wash I’m still loving Fré Skincare purify me, it’s especially designed for woman that train. I’ll be doing a few review of these products in a couple of weeks so stay tuned!
5) Moisturiser- I guess this comes hand in hand with the face and body wash. Your skin is all over your body so remember to take care of all of it, every nook and cranny! If it’s early you’re going to need an SPF with your moisturiser don’t forget you need protection from both UVA and UVB. If it’s late night and you’re heading home bring with you your night cream. I know after a long week working and keeping fit sometimes my skin can start to look dull which is the last thing I want ahead of the weekend, I’ve recently tried Summer Fridays Jet Lag mask which comes highly recommended by almost everyone! Again another one designed for travel but works wonders after the gym.
Nice to have’s:
1) Hair clips, I love love love these alligator style clips from Boots, they don’t leave a line in my hair and are so handy! I have them everywhere at home and always in my gym bag. I hate washing my hair so these babies keep it well and truly out of the way of water when I’m showering or in the jacuzzi.
2) Spare bag, for your dirty stuff. I usually always forget these but when I remember I feel like I’m a fully functional adult! Can I get a high five.
3) Towel X2 it goes without saying you need a towel in the showers but it’s always handy to have a mini towel to wipe your sweat and the equipment as you go. The gym blue roll situation is not good, I swear it dissolves when it comes into contact with sweat.
So there’s a few of my gym bag beauty essentials, what do you always ensure is in your bag? Would love to find out, do you take full size or miniatures?
I don’t know about you, but I see so many conflicting things telling me about what I should and shouldn’t be doing when it comes to my skincare regime that I get confused as to what I should actually be doing. This and the added pressure of constantly dealing with post workout sweat and battle of the breakout, means my simple routine has become a bit of a minefield.
Personally, I LOVE skincare. I will find any excuse to try out a new product (cruelty free of course!) and I count down the days to my favourite time of the month – getting a facial. However, I do understand that this isn’t a luxury for everyone and with today’s fast paced world taking 20 minutes out of your routine for some facial self-love isn’t always possible… So, to help, I’ve put together 5 simple and easy steps to help you get ‘Instagramble’ skin. Helping you look as great as you feel when walking out the gym and ready to rock a day at work.
Step 1: DON’T TOUCH YOUR FACE!
If you’re like me, then you already HATE people touching your face and bat away any hands that come at you, but how about your own? You should also be keeping your own hands off your own face while you’re at the gym, here’s why.
If you’re not sweating at the gym you’re not doing it right, right? With the best will in the world even those of us that wipe down the machines after we’ve used them still leave behind living bacteria and do you really want to put other peoples sweat germs on your face? Just the thought of it is probably making you say, “EWWW!”
Also keep your hair off your face! If you’re a haircare junkie, all those products although they make your hair look worthy of an L’Oréal advert, they’re just going to run onto your face and block up your pores and potentially cause breakouts in the skin.
Step 2: GENTLY DOES IT.
Let’s face it (no pun intended) nothing feels better after the gym than a good scrub and feeling fresh as a daisy, but this happens to be the number one mistake people make after the gym.
Too much exfoliation of the skin can lead to dehydration and even back to back boxercise classes don’t call for that. If you’re prone to eczema (like me) this is something you really want to avoid. My new favourite cleanser is Fré Skincare Hydrating Facial Cleanser. Fré Skin is designed for skin that sweats and this cleanser gently exfoliates the skin without stripping it of its moisture. There’s no tightness after using this product, no tingling and so it’s my new gym bag must have!
Step 3: GET MOIST.
Your face may be damp but sweat is removing moisture from your face so it’s important to replace any moisture you’ve lost after. Finding a moisturiser that works for you isn’t easy and there’s a lot of trial and error. I’m currently trying the new organic Garnier range Lemongrass Daily Moisturiser it’s vegan friendly and enriched with aloe vera and Botanical Glycerin and smells AMAZING!!!
For dry skin rich creams are the way forward but keep them light so they are easily absorbed by your skin. However, if you are breakout prone then opt for an oil-free moisturiser. Do not skimp on the moisturiser, this is not a ‘pea size’ amount situation, start small and build it up. Get to know your skin and how much suits your skin.
Also, don’t forget to take it down low! This isn’t just about your face it’s about your skin. Most of us probably have our necks and chest on as much show as our faces at the gym, exposing them to all the same elements and so, they should receive the same love and care.
Step 4: HYDRATE.
The easiest way to keep your skin hydrated is from within. I like to drink my body weight in water and green tea daily. Seriously I LOVE Twining’s Glow Tea, it tastes so good and is sweet enough to stamp out any cheeky cravings I get. The one I’m currently drinking is also full of biotin to help your hair and skin. It’s so good I got my cousin addicted and if you ever ask her she’ll claim’I NEVER WANTED TO TRY THIS ANYWAY!’ And now she drinks it daily.
It’s so important to keep hydrated throughout the day, one bottle of water post workout isn’t going to recover everything you lost in that sweat session.
Step 5: S P F
Because I don’t talk about this enough right? Even if you’re walking back from the gym you need to protect your skin from further harm. Even if it’s overcast and raining, don’t be fooled! The sun is still there and those UVA rays are still breaking through. Make sure your SPF of choice covers both UVA and UVB protection. A lot of moisturisers do but it’s good to double check. Fré Skin care ‘Protect Me’ has a SFP 30 and protects against UVA, UVB, IRA rays and air pollution. What’s better than a multifunctional product, all of the benefits and less time applying products.
Thanks for reading, these are just a few tips and tricks that have really helped me especially when I’m in a rush. It’s important to at least remember the basics! I’d like to say that none of the products above are gifted they are just items I buy either through recommendation or walking up and down the isles of stores and like to try out and let you guys know my thoughts.
Are you guilty of neglecting any of these? What is your one golden rule post workout?